New Saga for teenagers but mostly everyone.
Like many other people I haven’t heard anything about this book series before the movie came out. However, I think the idea is great, while not considering myself a great fan, I will eventually read books and wait for other movies.
The success of the franchise is not just about the plot, actors, directors and the whole creative process.
It is more about promotion and getting attention of people who had no idea before about some kids killing each other cause the Capitol told them too.
An interesting article from FastCoCreate provided a very detailed analysis of the use of social media tools in promotion of the Hunger Games.
An elaborate and ongoing social media campaign, orchestrated by Lionsgate and agency Ignition, helped turn a strong bet into a blockbuster–the film has earned more than $450 million at the box office worldwide so far.
They broke down the campaign into 10 stages
1. PLAY TO YOUR BASE: FANS COME FIRST. AND SECOND. AND THIRD.
2. BE A SOCIAL BUTTERFLY: EXPLOIT EACH SOCIAL MEDIA PLATFORM FOR ITS UNIQUE QUALITIES
3. THE SOURCE — IN THIS CASE, SUZANNE COLLINS’ BOOK — IS YOUR BIBLE
4. CAST A WIDE NET: EVERYONE IS ON TEAM “HUNGER GAMES”
5. TEASE JUDICIOUSLY
6. TURN TRADITIONAL ADVERTISING INTO A SERIES OF SOCIAL MEDIA EVENTS
7. CROSS-POLLINATE SOCIAL MEDIA PLATFORMS
8. TWEAK (AND TWEET) CONSTANTLY
9. EMPLOY APPS AND GAMES TO SUSTAIN POST-RELEASE MOMENTUM
10. PLAY THE LONG GAME: THIS IS ONLY THE BEGINNING